Halloween Horror Recipe – Pumpkin and Lentil Risotto
Let your baby join in the spooky Halloween fun and make use of any extra pumpkin with this tasty recipe. Ideal not only for Halloween but chilly Autumnal nights.
Suitable from 6 months.
20 minutes plus 25 minutes simmering.
- 200g pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion
- 60g red lentils
- 60g basmati rice
- 1 heaped tsp grated root ginger
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 500ml stock made with a low salt or baby stock cube
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin or squash and chop into ½ to 1 cm cubes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a pan then add the onion and crushed garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the ginger, cumin and cinnamon and fry for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the pumpkin and stir, then leave to soften for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the lentils, rice and stock. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Leave to cook with a lid on for about 25 minutes until everything is soft. Stir in more water if needed.
The recipe makes 6-8 baby portions, so your baby can have some today and you can freeze the rest for another time.
Please be aware that some of the recipes may contain nuts, so please therefore use caution and remove any known allergens from recipes when preparing.